Set on 2+ acres on top of a hill known as Floyd's Hill, overlooking the River Valley, this home was built by Dr. Franklin A. Floyd, Sr. in 1898; a significant person in the history of Phenix City. It was originally constructed as a single story home but then in 1908 was converted to a 2-story neoclassical mansion presently known as the Floyd-Newsom-Beck House.The bottom four rooms and hallway were raised & 4 additional rooms, hallway and staircase were built underneath the original structure. This remarkable estate was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 & is a rare opportunity to own a piece of history. The towering brick columns & 2-story wrap-around porch give a distinctive style like no other home in our area. The main level includes 2 living areas, a bdrm, formal dining, a full bath & an amazing updated kitchen. The 2nd story is 4 bdrms and 2.5 baths. The lower level is appx 810 sqft of living area w/ a 1/2 bath. The tiered covered back porch overlooks the pool oasis.
History of Floyd-Newsome-Beck House
Dr. Franklin Ashby Floyd built the home in 1898. The original home was one story with six rooms and one large hallway. The Victorian cottage was remodeled in 1908 as a neoclassical mansion. The bottom four rooms and hallway were raised and four additional rooms, hallway and staircase were built underneath the original structure. The two story home is wood frame with weatherboard siding and a brick foundation. The truncated hip roof has Italianate brackets around crown with twin intersecting front gables in front and eight bays in façade. The central front door on the first floor has a transom and sidelights 1/1 double –hung sash windows. The upper floor has a central rounded small-railed balcony from the original Victorian entrance with a transom, pilasters and entablature. The two story open porch wraps around two street sides of the house supported by large brick columns with wrought iron ornamental railing around the porch. In 1985, the home was rewired, replumbed and two bathrooms and a half bath were added. Another half bath was added in 2000. In 2010, the kitchen was renovated and a new porch added onto the back of the house, designed by Architect Don Bowden. The kitchen cabinets were designed and installed by Van Nostrand Cabinets and the interior and deck construction were completed by Archway Builders. The original sink was kept and some of the antique bead board was re-installed in different locations. The original front door from 1898 was moved to the new deck. An original mantel was also installed as a focal point on the new deck. The new deck flooring was constructed with Ipe wood from South America.
Dr. Ashby Floyd was a physician, druggist, mayor and judge and important in the political life of Phenix City and active in city service, promoting medical services and education. Educated at Tulane, he had four sons who entered medicine. He built a one-story home on the present hilltop site in 1898, then in 1908 jacked up the home and built a second story beneath it, adding the wrap-around two-story portico and rear kitchen. It was his home for the rest of his life. In 1933 he transferred title to his son Charles Eddie Floyd. In 1958, after 60 years, the house left the Floyd family and was sold to R.E. and Vera Aldridge who occupied it for several years until it was sold in 1967 to Talmadge R. Newsome. He owned the home until 1985 when Dr. and Mrs. Ronald Beck purchased the home. Vance and Kim Beck purchase the home from his parents in 1993 and have lived there since 1990.